Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hollywood Kid Stuff

I have only babysat once in my life, for about half an hour, for a child who was eight, so my experience with children is just slightly more than my knowledge of music (see my post about music). Because my friends have children, I have had to think of things to do with them when they come to visit me with their parents (my friends). The challenge is to find things that would not bore them and that would still be enjoyable for the adults; it's like a balancing act on a high wire, one false step and you land in an embarrassing fall. Hollywood is a great place to begin a Kid Stuff day, with entertainment galore in the place where movies and magic mix.

One no fail option is the week-end brunch at the Magic Castle which is the only time anyone under 21 is allowed into the private club. It is the most casual attire requirement for the castle (no jacket or ties for men), but you will still need an invitation from a member to attend unless you spend the night at the Magic Castle Hotel (see earlier post).

While in Hollywood, another great place is the El Capitan Theater across the street from the new Hollywood and Highland complex and Grauman's Chinese Theater. There are always some interactive activities for the current Disney movie, including props and sometimes live actors doing plays or scenes from the movie.

If you want to feel like you are really on a Hollywood set, then head over to the Hollywood Museum which has everything from the jail cell of Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs" to "Planet of the Apes" costumes and "Rocky's" boxing gloves. A little of everything for movie buffs of all ages.

For the starstruck kid or adult, Hollywood can be a fun discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment