Monday, January 30, 2012

The Six 2 Years Later

It's been 2 years since I've been to The Six and I'm happy to say things have improved with time. Their food creativity has evolved, and the result is a lively menu with food good enough to lure non drinkers to this gastropub.

With Dine LA week, their 3 course lunch for $16 was too hard to pass up, so I chose the vanilla roasted beets for my appetizer and the wonderful scent of vanilla added a subtle but distinct flair to the beets. The watercress, roasted hazelnuts and burrata all worked to make this a colorful and interesting variation of a beet salad.


For my main, I had the mushroom burger (all vegetarian). It was so big that I had to eat it with a knife and fork! Very tasty composition of grains and mushrooms, but the best part of the burger was that it was made like the regular "Six" burger with tomato, lettuce, and fried onion rings. I never missed the beef with all the textures and flavors. The dill pickles added a nice piquant perk to the meatless burger and I finish everything except for the gigantic toasted brioche bun.


I chose key lime pie, a glorious rendition of the tart sweet dessert. Thankfully the portion was small enough to finish without wasting a bite of the perfect finish to any meal.


I went back to try dinner and because I wasn't very hungry, I chose the Mesclun Greens with hazelnuts, pear and balsamic for $8 and I was glad it was all I ordered since the plate was huge, about 11" in diameter! The flavors were surprisingly good, from the tasted hazelnuts to the crisp pear, every component added a different layer which combined to make a refreshing plate of greens. The dressing was light enough to accent without overwhelming, and the greens were diverse enough to create different textures with each bite.


My friend ordered the Turkey Sloppy Joe Sliders with portobello, red bell pepper, and fried house-made pickle for $12. These were slightly sweet with spices that had a warmth reminiscent of a Moroccan style Ras El Hanout. This was an innovative rendition and a very generous serving for an appetizer. It was more than enough for a full meal if you are not splitting it with anyone else. The baby buns were as delightful to eat as they were to photograph.


The S'More dessert was a big version of the campfire classic. The first serving came out burnt (our waitress told us that they were still fine tuning the amount of heat to put on the topping), but the second one was good, with just enough crisp marshmallow for crunch over a sweet chocolate and graham cracker base. This dessert was a bit too sweet for my tooth, but my friend loved it.

We had a glass ($10) of the Graffigna Malbec and were glad to find a good glass of wine with innovative flavors in a pub. We will definitely be back for s'more.

The Six Restaurant (West LA) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment