Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Blue Stove

It's one of my four favorite times of the year; Dine LA week started (again) yesterday and it was time to revisit Blue Stove since it's been over a year since I last tried their menu. The Dine LA dinner menu for $25 includes three tapas and three pours of wine pairings, one for each plate.

I started with the Ahi Tuna Poke with fried wontons, which was paired with a 2009 Kenneth Volk Viongier. There was a bit too much soy sauce in the Poke, which not only made it a bit too salty, but made it a bit runny (as you can see on the plate). This composition of seaweed, avocado, and mango would have been delightful otherwise.


My second wine pairing was a pour of 2009 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir, which was my favorite wine of the night; light enough to pair with poultry or even seafood, yet full bodied enough to enjoy with my red meat course.


I ordered my skirt steak with romesco and balsamic onions rare, and I was thrilled to see that they actually cooked my steak "blue" (cold in the center)! The onions were a zesty counterpoint to the rich meat and romesco sauce and aside from the meat being a bit stringy, this was a great dish.


I had them wait to deliver my dessert because I was so full after my first two "small" plates, but when I finally felt I could take another bite, I had the berry cobbler with a pour of 2010 Catena Malbec. I managed to taste this HUGE dessert so I could write about it (the sacrifices I make for this blog:). The berries were wonderful and the ice cream was a good quality vanilla, but unless you are a cow (with 5 stomachs) there is no way anyone I know could finish this 8" dessert after two courses!


Dine LA is a great excuse to revisit old places and try new ones, so I'm heading over to try a new one (Sotto) tomorrow since today I revisited an old one.

P.S. For those who don't already know, you can valet park free for 3 hours at Santa Monica Place if you eat here (just remember to get a validation at the restaurant).



Blue Stove (Nordstrom) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment