Monday, August 20, 2018

Fabulous Pho Hue Oi

I was so happy to have found a good Vietnamese restaurant nearby that I went three times in one week! Pho Hue Oi is less than a year old, but there are already lines out the door at lunch, and regulars (like me) who are grateful for the flavors of Vietnam without driving an hour to Little Saigon.

They offer something you will enjoy, whether it is Pho, Bun Bo, Rice plates, garlic noodles, or Banh Mi. As a nod to Americans, they offer garlic fries, and as a nod to Vietnamese, they offer the steamed rice cakes Banh Beo Chen, topped with ground shrimp, pork rinds, and fried shallots. Nearly everything on the menu is $10, with the one exception of the wok seared filet mignon with rice, salad, and vegetables for $12.50. As you will see from the pictures, the prices are incredible for the quality and quantity of food. 

Seeing the choice of condiments, all in pristinely clean containers, was a very good first omen of things to come.
Of course I ordered the Pho Dac Biet on my first visit, and the freshness of the basil and bean sprouts accompaniment was a second good omen.
The regular sized bowl of sliced filet mignon, well done brisket, flank, tendon, and beef meatball for $8.95 was so replete with meat that I barely had room to add all the basil and bean sprouts! The broth was very clean tasting, the tendon was tender, and the quality of the meat was astounding. My only disappointment was that they did not offer oxtail pho as an option, but this bowl can be customized with 3 of your favorite ingredients for the same price.
On a subsequent visit, I had the Bun Tom Thit Nuong Cha Gio, a salad version of the soup, with grilled pork, shrimp, egg roll, fresh raw vegetables on vermicelli noodles for $9, I substituted grilled rib eye for $1 more and of course I added a myriad of the condiments to heat up the bowl. It was the perfect summertime bowl.
On my latest visit, I opted for a rice plate, going for the Com Dac Biet for $10.50, which was so copious, I nearly had to take some of it home, but I ended up eating very slowly and somehow finished! As you can see, it includes a perfectly fried egg on top of the rice, generous baby green salad, pickled vegetables, grilled shrimp, chicken, and pork. This is really enough for two meals or a big appetite!
Maybe on my next visit I will try the Bank Mi, but I am so happy with all that I have tasted at Pho Hue Oi that I may just repeat my menu choices next week:)

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Elaine for this wonderful piece about Pho Hue Oi!

    ReplyDelete