Monday, August 13, 2018

Japanese Lunch, Happy Hour, and Dinner

I may not have posted last week, but I have been eating! Hopefully this week's post will make up for skipping one :) 

I took a friend to Kagura in El Segundo for lunch and she loved the calm minimalist decor while enjoying her bountiful lunch gozen. She was amazed by the quality and quantity of her sushi lunch with tempura and mini side dishes that were all contrasting textures and flavors for under $25.
I ordered the miso black cod because it is one of the few items I had not yet tried on their menu, and it was one of the best I've ever eaten! The side of sashimi was an added bonus since I got to enjoy both cooked and raw fish for the same meal.
I finally went to happy hour at Kagura, that is every Monday-Thursday from 5-6:30 PM when they offer a menu of drinks, rolls, and appetizers, all for $4 or less! An amazing deal, especially considering the quality of the drinks and food they offer, like this 16 oz draft Sapporo for $3! 
The seaweed salad for $4 was much larger than I expected but a bit overdone with the dressing; it was very tasty nonetheless.
They offer several hand rolls for $3.75, including this yellowtail version which was chock full of yellowtail.
This was the negitoro (tuna with green onion) also $3.75.

I love fried smelt; they are the french fries of seafood and I have been known to make and eat an entire plateful (see my Instagram for proof), but to minimize the temptation to overdo it, I ordered them here for $4, and although there were only three, they were big enough to satiate my craving.
I was too tempted by the fried calamari legs to stop eating, so I ordered them for $4, which would have been enough for any normal person (but not a foodie intent on trying everything)! Next time I will order either the smelt or the calamari legs, but not both :)
Continuing the Japanese theme, Sushi Roku in Santa Monica ended up being my dinner destination, so I continued the Japanese food theme and I indulged in my favorite Spanish Mackerel sushi while watching as my dining companion ate the standard tempura and tuna rolls, which he remarked were boring compared to what I ordered.
My last plate of the night was the yellowtail with jalapeno and ponzu, which was a very fitting way to end a full day of Japanese food, lightly, purely, and deliciously :)

No comments:

Post a Comment