Monday, April 22, 2013

Ford's Filling Station

It's always fun to have lunch with friends, and one of them suggested Ford's Filling Station. I love the food at Tender Greens next door, and the recently opened LYFE across the street, so stopping at a new spot was a challenge when my reflex is to go to the tried and true.

This was one of the original gastropubs in downtown Culver City, and it has managed to remain in business, so they must be doing something right. Personable service is one of the things they are doing right; from the moment I entered everyone made sure that I was comfortable waiting for the rest of my group to arrive.

When everyone did arrive, we sat in the shaded and sheltered patio and asked our waiter for suggestions on the lunch menu. Since I heard that they source their pigs from the same place as Lindy & Grundy, I knew the Bacon in the BLTA with roasted tomato, arugula and garlic aioli for $12 would be good. The bacon was great, unfortunately the aioli was basically just mayonnaise and the rest of the sandwich was not noteworthy with an excess of bun to filling ratio.

The crab salad with watercress, spring citrus, avocado, and a Meyer lemon dressing for $14 vied for my choice of entrees. It was freshly prepared and a pleasant light meal.
Two of us ordered the special of the day, the Grilled Steak Salad for $14. It arrived in a big wooden "trough" with butter lettuce, avocado (which seems to be a signature ingredient here), parmesan, and radishes. The steak was only offered medium rare and it was marinated in a chimichurri sauce, but it lacked flavor and seasoning and I found the entire salad rather bland.
Sometimes trying a new place makes you appreciate old favorites and as I ate my steak salad I longingly looked next door at Tender Greens, wishing I was eating there where I could have ordered a flavorful rare steak salad.

The drinks we had were great, one of us even got a shot of jalapeno infused tequila which she enjoyed, so if you are looking for a great place to have drinks and maybe a snack, like fried chick peas, taquitos, or bacon wrapped dates, this would be a good choice.

Ford's Filling Station on Urbanspoon

Tender Greens on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment