Monday, August 28, 2017

President Thai, Sushi Roku, Mama Musubi

President Thai was recommended by two unrelated food lovers, so I went to to lunches :) The immense building, menu, and long lines, could have been overwhelming, but the service was so kind, patient, efficient, and happy, that I felt as if I was their honored guest. If you are ever in the neighborhood, or simply want to be in a place where you are surrounded by genuine smiles, head over to president Thai.

They start off all lunch specials with either a bowl of delectable soup or a small salad.

The first time I tried their beef because this was their most popular dish. The meat was tender, the flavors were balanced, and the portion was huge! Even as a lunch special for around $10, this was easily enough for two meals; the picture is a bit deceiving because the layers of meat are a bit hidden under the garnish.
I chose the chicken with rice noodles for another lunch and was happy 
to add any variety of spice I wanted to my dish. The portion was again very generous and I ate two meals from the one order.
Sushi Roku has many locations, and I have eaten there several times, but I had never tried their Happy Hour until recently. Served only in the bar area (inside or outside), the selections are varied enough for those who like cooked and raw choices. I began with a $5 beer since it was so hot.
A yellow tail and scallion cut roll and a salmon skin hand roll (not crisp) at $5 each started things off,
segued into $5 tempura green beans and another order of the yellow tail cut roll.
The Albacore tacos for $6 were a good choice for those who like fusion.
The hit of the happy hour was the $5 popcorn shrimp with jalapeno cut roll.
At the Thursday night South Pasadena Farmers Market, the longest line is always at Mama Musubi. I braved the wait one day and got three, the beef, the tuna, and the seaweed; my favorite was the seaweed, seen at the right edge of the photo, and apparently it's also the most popular one:)

No comments:

Post a Comment