Monday, January 29, 2018

Food Court Asian Food

The caveat to never shop while hungry is one I endeavor to follow, especially when there are so many good choices in the mega Asian supermarkets in the South Bay. 

Even though I had heard rave reviews about it from fellow foodaholics, I had never been to HMart, and for my first time, I didn't want to be ravenous, so I started my tour of the place in their fast food court. 

There are actually three sections which prepare everything from bibimbap, a one bowl mix of meat and veggies with rice, to ramen, and Chinese stir-fry. You place you order at the one cashier and pick up from whichever station your food choice is prepared. There is a Las Vegas Keno style electronic display with your ticket # and pick up window, and if you don't see your number displayed, it is also announced through the loudspeaker. Most items range from $7-$22 and offer fresh, authentically seasoned, and copious servings. Many dishes easily serve 2 people or one large football player.

Since HMart is a Korean Market (it is actually a US chain done in a Korean style), I chose the all in one bowl of a bibimbap. Yes, everything in the picture was under $11 including tax, and yes I managed to finish it all :) The cup in the upper right contains soup, and spicy Korean chili sauce is in the small sealed container.
A close up of the main bowl of veggies.
 Lots of radish and cabbage kimchi on the side.
Another day, another bowl of the same thing, but with slightly different veggies,
 and slightly different sides.
I craved pork one day and what better way than to have it fried with egg over rice? I could only eat about half of this HUGE piece, and barely made a dent in the rice underneath. All this for under $10, made to order, crispy, and savory. I saw other tables with ramen, especially the short rib ramen with a gigantic prehistoric looking sized short rib, but there was no way I could have eaten all that, so I may take to go one rainy day. Note that all to go order are $1 more, but depending on what you order, you may want to take your food to go rather than waste half of it.
Continuing with the fried theme at a food court, I was at Mitsuwa, a Japanese market, and in their food court, Hannousuke, specialized in tempura, and the tempura over rice looked too good to pass up, so I sat down for a bowl before I began my shopping. With the miso soup, rice underneath, and fried vegetables, this was a large serving that could have easily been two meals (at least for me) for $11. 
A close up shows more detail, but unless you have X ray vision, you can't see how much more food there is underneath the shrimp! 
I think I will always go shopping hungry now, as long as there is a good Asian Food Court attached to the market :)

No comments:

Post a Comment