Monday, June 11, 2018

Ubon Thai in Torrance

Thai food is one of my favorite Asian flavors, so much so that if I had to choose to eat only one kind of cuisine, I would pick Thai. Because I moved (again) last month, I was too tired to cook, but luckily Ubon is located at the halfway point between my old and new abodes. The first time I was early enough to catch the lunch special that included a salad and crispy fried egg roll with my beef Kee Mao flat rice noodles, stir fried with garlic, chili, onions, bell peppers, green beans, bean sprouts, and scallions for $9.95. I asked for it to be spicy and although I really didn't need to add any spice to it, there were three containers of various peppers on the table, so I "had" to add a bit :)
 The small simple salad had a slightly sweet, but refreshing sauce.
 The crispy vegetable egg roll had plenty of vegetables and a great crunch.
On another day, I chose shrimp, and asked for more spice...this time I did not need to add any more peppers, but I did need more tissues :)
I had to try one of the non noodle dishes, so the Chinese broccoli with crispy pork belly fit the $10.95 bill. In spite of have to pack and unpack, this nice balance of flavors and textures made me smile all day :) For those who want brown rice instead of jasmine, they offer that, as well as soups, rice dishes, curries (including one with duck), and boba drinks, so Ubon can be a stopover anytime you want a taste of Thai in the middle of Torrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment