Monday, July 2, 2018

Four Fried Goodies Searching For A Fifth

The perfect French Belgian fry is the epitome of fried food expertise. Sadly today's post does not include that example, because it's been so long since I've had a perfect one. If you have eaten great fries in Los Angeles, please comment and tell me where you found yours! Ideally double fried in duck fat, medium thickness, and generously salted :)

I have found a great Apple Fritter, with lots of extra crunchy nooks and crannies, and enough bits of apple that you don't have to wonder if it is simply fried dough. Best Donuts is open 24 hours, so if you are near Hermosa Beach, or on your way from or to LAX, this is an easy stop on PCH and Artesia.
@Jean_de_Paradis calls onion rings the "popcorn of vegetables" and I ate this "side dish" at Rock and Brew Redondo Beach, as my dinner one afternoon with a crisp glass of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. Technically I guess I had a vegetarian dinner, right?
Of course since I'm an omnivore, I had to get some fried chicken at Honey's Kettle in Culver City to take home. Their crispy hot wings are my favorite but they ran out of the hot sauce, so I "settled" for their family sized whole chicken so that I would have leftovers (they reheat beautifully in your oven).
After watching the incredibly entertaining and fun movie Ocean's 8 at the South Bay Galleria, I drove a block away for some falafels in a veggie bowl filled with salad and fried zucchini on top of brown rice at King Mediterrano. The tiny counter operation has a nice outdoor seating area, or you can take the food to go, which is a great idea in light of the large portions at prices that make their healthy options comparable to fast food chain prices.
After all this fried food, I will go back to eating my usual menu of grilled, sautéed, baked, and braised food, but variety is the cornerstone of balance, and I needed a few fun fried treats to balance out all my sensible eating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment