Monday, December 3, 2018

Caribbean Gourmet at Crenshaw Farmers Market

Having eaten on a handful of islands in the Caribbean (Martinique, St. Bart's, St. Kitts, Nevis) I have a very limited idea of what constitutes good Caribbean food, but I do know when I encounter a good chef. Yonette of Caribbean Gourmet definitely possesses the skills and smiles that are emblematic of why people enjoy the islands so much. Her team all possess equally infectious smiles and somehow manage to keep the line moving no matter how long it is. 
Everyone seemed to be ordering multiple pies, so I got a vegetarian pie as an appetizer. Two of these would have been enough for a meal for me :) Made with a flaky crust filled with an assortment of vegetables, these are perfect for light eaters and any vegetable lover; you might even be able to convert a meat eater to vegetarian with one of these!

I have not bought Jerk Chicken from any place in decades since my favorite Jamaican place closed. Caribbean Gourmet's version is not as hot, but very spicy in a good way for those who are afraid to burn their mouths. Again, I loved the cabbage, rice, and plantains, but I added hot sauce to this when I got home.
When I saw her menu, I immediately knew that I wanted to try her oxtail plate and for $15 it was a bargain and definitely enough for two meals for me! Tender fragrant oxtails, cabbage, rice, and plantains, complimented and completed this hearty serving. If you only order one thing here, get this!!!
They have coconut water to accompany your meal, and an assortment of other drinks like a tangy Tamarind if you want to taste something a bit more exotic.
They also have some sweet pies if you have room for dessert.
Since this was a farmers market, there were plenty of stands with fresh produce, so I bought some kale and radishes home :)


The Crenshaw Farmers Market is every Saturday 10 am-3pm at the Baldwin Hills Mall near the Rave Movie theater; see you there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment