Monday, February 18, 2019

Go to Natalee Thai

I have never been to Thailand, so my take on Thai restaurants is entirely based on what I have eaten outside of Thailand. Jitlada is wonderful, but Hollywood too far away for regular visits, as is Chan Dara, now that it is only in Larchmont, so Natalee Thai has become my default place for Thai food.

One of my litmus tests for Thai food is the level and kind of spice they use. Warnings of spicy are good when they use thai chilis (not jalapenos) and I actually need several tissues to blow my nose and wipe the tears from my eyes :) 

The Phu Ket steamed sole filet, with garlic, lime, chili, and Thai fish sauce for $13.75 on steamed baby bok choy was a tender symphony of fish simply done. the surprising level of heat in the chilis was astounding, and I grabbed some of the thai iced coffee one of my friends was drinking to calm the fire down. 

I tried the sea bass version of the same in take out for $18.95, but sadly the sauce had spilled out of the take out container and the pieces of sea bass were disappointing small for the price.
The Pad See Ew with beef for $11.25 was slightly oily, but the flavors were so good that one person literally polished off the entire plate and wanted another serving to go!
The Yum Woon Sen clear glass noodles for $10.50 had a nice fresh lime garlic and chili sauce with the calamari, shrimp, chicken, and vegetables. This was perfect for a lighter noodle dish.
To round out some of the noodles and meat, we also got the mixed vegetables for $9.25.
The nice thing about eating with people who love to eat is that we are always planning our next meal as we are eating, so we ordered some food to go as soon as we finished eating! 

We chose to get the Natalee fresh rolls for $7.50,
and order of pad thai for $11.95 which includes chicken, shrimp, and tofu,
and their BBQ chicken for $11.50, which was a great idea because with the stormy weather in Southern California lately, having great food for another meal with friends is priceless!


No comments:

Post a Comment