Monday, January 27, 2020

Flatpoint BBQ

I love great BBQ and I have found many places which have made my taste buds smile with the smoke, tenderness, and flavor of their meats. When I saw that Flatpoint Barbeque pops up in Santa Monica at Surf Liquor every Saturday, I made a mental note to try them. They set up in the parking lot at 11am and as they say, they close when they sell out. I hoped for a taste of their beef rib, but since I couldn't get to them until they were packing up to leave around 4pm, I was left with the Prime brisket, Pork spare ribs, and pulled pork 3 meat combo and the last order they had of their baked beans for $30. It was a monster platter so rather than try to tackle it in the parking lot, I ordered it to go and got a Flatpoint Special sandwich for $17 to eat in the car before driving home.

I took one container of all three sauces and made a half and half container of the regular and spicy to take home with my platter. I loved all three types, with no clear favorite since they all had a nice balance of savory, tart, and spice.
The 3 meat platter was enormous! I especially love the pickled onions and pickles which help cut through the rich meat. Of the platter, I think my favorite was the pork ribs which were nice and tender and had a nice peppery crust. The pulled pork was great heated through the next day with some of the combination sauce I had concocted. I found the brisket a bit dry, but it was great with any and all of the sauces. 
The baked beans were chock full of MEAT! So much so that it was easily a meal of pulled pork with a few beans, and would have made a great addition to nachos or tacos. I didn't like the sweetness of it, but I know many people would love that it was sweet not just savory and smoky.
The flatpoint sandwich for $17 was a hearty meal in and of itself, so that I barely touched the platter after eating it. The combination of pickles, garlic aioli, BBQ sauce and crispy shallots made this a monster brisket sandwich! The brioche bun was firm enough to hold everything, so it was a bit dense and thick, but better to have a firm hold on all that meat. And yes I ate the whole thing :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment