Monday, February 17, 2020

Colossus Bread

I love bread and I am a fan of anyone who has the patience and skill to source quality ingredients and then allow them to ferment and proof naturally. Colossus Bread recently opened in San Pedro in a small storefront, serving only coffee, bread and pastries. My friend who live there are happy to have a quality bakery in town, and I was happy to not only taste their Whole Grain Wheat and Olive Cumin, but also a few of their viennoiseries. My favorite was their Olive Cumin, studded with olives and with the earthy spice of cumin, this was fantastic toasted and spread with a bit of cream cheese or olive oil. They also freeze very well, wrapped and double bagged in plastic, so no worries if you can't finish the gigantic fresh loaves in one sitting.


Their viennoiseries were good, but a bit too dense and too salty for my taste. Colossus is a bread bakery, and it is rare to find any bread bakery who bakes great bread and also does great pastry. 

I would absolutely get a pastry here to go with some coffee if I was in the area, but I would not go out of my way to come for the viennoiserie. I would however make the drive for the bread, so taste both for yourself and see what you think.
I am always encouraged to find artisan bakeries in places where there are not any, so kudos to Colossus for breaking new ground in San Pedro, and I hope the gathering of people in and outside the shop when I went is a portend of more customers to come in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment