Monday, August 24, 2020

Soft Whole Wheat Bread

I've been baking so much that I've used 8 lbs of organic whole wheat flour!

I tried a new recipe for a soft whole wheat bread (watch video here) that I love, so I'm sharing this one with a few tips in case you are baking in summer temperatures which wreak a bit of havoc with proofing times and methods!

The picture below was after just 15 minutes of the first rise! I began the recipe in  humid 85 F degree heat, so if your ambient temperature is above 70 F, I would recommend that you cover in plastic wrap and proof in your refrigerator overnight or punch down when your dough has doubled, and knead vigorously before your second proof or else you will end up with over proofed dough.


I punched down my dough and kneaded vigorously before forming my loaf and allowed it to rise to double before baking.


The loaf rose well, and as you can see the crumb on top was quite loose which made for the softer texture I wanted, but it can be quite fragile, so if you want a tighter texture, bake it in a cake or pie tin for a round loaf.



No comments:

Post a Comment