Monday, July 25, 2022

First Taste of Tangaroa

Tangaroa is an ocean god in Polynesian and Maori mythology, so the name of this fish market and restaurant is a well chosen one if you revere fresh fish and seafood.

I stopped by for lunch and found their service, space, and food all impeccable. I have never been to New Zealand, but I know several kiwis. I appreciate their very honest, clean, and sustainable ethos, which also comes through in the bounty from the sea; there is a reason that New Zealand Red Snapper is one of the preferred fish for sushi and good restaurants. 

The beet salad for $19 could have been a meal for a vegetarian, and it is ample enough to share if you want to split it an an entrée.

Their calamari for $17 was tender and flour battered. I would have preferred a different crunchier batter, but it included tentacles (my favorite) and was done with a light hand.
Crab cakes for $19 served with salad could have been a small meal with two good sized cakes. There was a bit of heat from the mustard in the crab mix, but the crab meat still shone through.
Grilled octopus salad for $29 was my favorite dish (so far). Perfectly cooked octopus was tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, served with a generous panzanella salad, this was a hearty plate!
Red snapper filet for $31 with carrot purée and sautéed squash featured perfectly crisp skin and tender red snapper, served with a medley of sautéed squash. If you order this dish as a solo eater, I would bet you will leave with delicious leftovers!
I can't wait to come back for their lobster special on Wednesday and a happy hour oyster fest!





No comments:

Post a Comment