Monday, September 26, 2022

Tale of Two Types of Fried Chicken

I had a craving for fried chicken and after having seen the food at Go Go Bird last time I went to Citizen Public Market, I wanted to try their version. I got one non spicy order of chicken tenders, which came with Japanese pickles and a flakey delightful biscuit topped with honey miso butter and condensed milk that was a perfect dessert if you like your desserts on the less sugary side. 

The tenders and wings are both $16 each and are good sized servings, but keep in mind that you are paying for organic chickens and Japanese style frying techniques so if you are looking for fast food chicken with fast food prices, this is not the place for you. Both the mildly spicy wings and the non spicy tenders were most, crunchy, and absolutely wonderful! I would stick to mildly spicy or medium spicy unless you are a heat freak and want a burning mouth! I took one bite of the pepper with the wings and had to stop eating until my mouth fire was put out!

Big Boi is a Filipino place in the heart of Little Osaka on Sawtelle that specializes in fried chicken with gravy. I've never heard of, nor tasted fried chicken with gravy, but since it was a weekend special and it looked like a great combo, I gave it a try and loved it! I got one order of original and one of spicy, but next time I will just order spicy, since it had a mild kick that was complemented by the gravy. The gravy could have been made for a Thanksgiving turkey! For $12, you get a BUCKET of chicken, and a container of gravy that is enough to share with 2 people if you are not a big eater :)

Their side vegetable (it changes) was broccolini for $8 and absolutely fantastic! again portion size was generous, so plenty to share if you wish.
Since it was the week-end, I ordered the specials of chicken adobo and beef giniling with a split side of pancit (noodles) and garlic rice as a Bigz combo for $15
I thought I was ordering for 3 people, but I had leftovers for DAYS afterwards, which is not a bad thing when the food is this good! Unfortunately still no indoor dining, so take out or eat at one of the seats nearby at the sweet shop. My recommendation is simply to take it home and share your feast with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment