Monday, September 16, 2019

La Bonne Table De Sophie

French connections make for great food connections around the world :) My friend's friend's daughter (does that make sense?) spent some time living and working in France and came back to the US around the time I left for Paris. We finally met her in the US and she talked about one of her friends who opened up a French Creperie in Westwood, so of course we had to try it out! It turns out that Irina, the owner, is Russian, as is my neighbor and her child so there will be another international introduction shortly! La Table de Sophie is named after Irina's mother, Sophie, so the place is named in her mother's honor:)

Irina serves authentic Brittany crepes, using organic buckwheat flour for the savory galettes, and even the flags at the entrance proclaim her allegiance to the origin of the delicious crisp holder of savory delights.
I started off with a cappuccino and the wonderful flavor and texture was a good portend of the food to come.
One of us had the forestière with free range chicken, egg, mushrooms, gruyère, and onions cooked in hard Cider for $21. Sophie obligingly cooked up the egg that is normally sunny side up (au plat in Paris, or mirroir in Brittany) for the American palate.
I chose the Printanière with gruyère, egg, spinach, asparagus, zucchini,sweet peas, and bell pepper for $20. The galette was probably the best I've ever eaten, perfectly crisp and the ingredients were so fresh and beautifully presented that I didn't want to disturb the artwork! It was also a large portion, so I had no room for dessert :(
They have several items from Farm Shop for sale, so I took a pain au chocolat home to enjoy the next morning :) They were voted the best pain au chocolat for good reasons; flaky layers around valrhona chocolate make for the answer to your dessert or breakfast pastry quest.
I also took home a bar of Bovetti chocolate, just because I loved the design as well as the quality of the chocolate bar!
La table de Sophie has a marvelous gem of a bar adjacent to it and they serve happy hour between 5-7pm, so you can taste a bit of the French tradition of apéro in Los Angeles. La Table de Sophie made me a bit less homesick for France :)

No comments:

Post a Comment