Monday, November 8, 2021

Surf and Sand / Splashes

I used to drive to the Surf and Sand from Palm Springs just to get a breath of ocean air and a taste of the coastal vibe when the dessert heat became oppressive. I stayed in the hotel for a few nights back in the 1990's, but aside from a meal or two at their beachside restaurant Splashes, I have not frequented the places in decades. It was wonderful to revisit and find that the service, food, and seaside jewel are still in prime condition.

I booked a discounted package deal room a few weeks in advance and about 1 week before I was due to check in, I got an email offering an upgrade for $21 per night to the King Tower Ocean view room. Considering what I paid and the upgrade offered, this deal was 30 % less than the regular rate, so I was very happy to accept their offer :)    

Very nice linens, towels, and robes, along with 2 USB outlets near the bed, a mini fridge, Keurig with regular and decaf pods, water bottles, and wifi included in the resort fee of $25, and unlimited in and out for the nightly valet parking fee of $40. The television was an older LG unable to cast to from your phone and the toilets throughout the resort are VERY low, so ask for an ADA room if you need a more accessible toilet (like me). I found the bed and pillows very soft since I prefer extra firm, but I was able to sleep, and the chaise and outdoor furniture were all very comfortable.



I had a glass of crowded house sauvignon blanc for $16 and shared the mushroom flatbread appetizer with friends who live nearby the night of my arrival at the bar,
but my meal the last night of my stay was as wonderful as all the meals I've eaten here in the past. The Caesar salad for $17, used anchovy as it should and I was so happy to taste a dressing I liked.
Crispy octopus for $19 was perfectly prepared
The seared scallops for $45 were nicely seared with tender centers,
and I couldn't resist the sorbets offered at the end of my meal, with strawberry basil and mango, how could you say no?


Since I can always watch the video of the view from the King Tower room, I can revisit anytime :)



No comments:

Post a Comment