Monday, January 17, 2022

Alta West Adams

I've been wanting to try Alta since they opened, and I am so glad that I finally made the time to go; I was so impressed by their food that I went back twice the same week! 

It's better to make a reservation no matter when you want to go because chances are there will be a wait. Note that their reservation system will charge your card $45 for a no show if you do not change or cancel your reservation more than 24 hours in advance.

The main outdoor patio is my preferred seating area, but to be avoided on the rare rainy days in Los Angeles. Also to be avoided, the tables by the right rear ramp, which is unpleasantly close to odors emanating from the back alley :(

One visit started with their house salad for $14 that was easily enough to share or could be a meal if you want to add some protein to the greens for a supplement. The dressing had a slightly smoky flavor that enhanced the greens in a very unique way and became addictive as I ate more of the salad.
I was very hungry so I chose deviled eggs for $9 which were a creamy and satisfying appetizer.
I usually don't like black eyed peas, but these fritters for $10 were black eyed peas I would eat any day, especially with the bright fresh herb sauce accompaniment.
My only disappointment were the oxtails for $34, the flavors were superb, but the oxtails needed much more time to become tender and for the wonderful gelatinous nature of the bones revealed themselves. Another 2 hours or more of slow braise would have made this wonderful. 
Their fried chicken was my favorite dish, either as a combo (I chose rice and beans and collard greens) for $28, or solo on either 3 or 6 piece plates.
I loved the red beans and rice and collard greens so much I ordered both side orders to go as well :)
For vegetarians, the California gombo for $21 is a comforting, delicious way to eat your vegetables. You can add tofu, chicken or shrimp for a supplement for $7-10 and make this even an heartier dish.

Service was excellent, even though a rainstorm caught everyone off guard and the shuffle of personnel from patio to dining area was unorganized and had our table served by 5 different people, everyone was helpful, professional, and did what they could to make the transition easier than sitting in the rain outside.

As the rain started to getting worse, I sipped on a wonderful glass of Nessun Dorma (which they also sell next door at their wine shop by the bottle) waiting for the rain to stop while enjoying the warmth of good food and good company.



No comments:

Post a Comment