Monday, November 14, 2022

Last Meals in Detroit - Madcap Coffee and Besa

One of the first things I researched before arriving in Detroit was coffee. Specifically coffee found outside of my hotel and not one of the ubiquitous chains found nationwide. Thankfully Madcap coffee was literally less than 1 block away. They make an excellent cappuccino with oat milk and they sell their blends for those who love unique  flavors of their premium specialty coffee.
Unfortunately their spinach and feta "croissant" was neither a croissant nor remarkable. They were sold out of their regular croissants, so I can not confirm nor deny the taste of any other pastry they offer. Their staff is wonderful, and the space is perfect for people watching, reading, or working, with counter height seats facing a window and stand up tables in the middle with hooks for bags underneath the tables.
My last evening meal was at Besa, a gorgeous space in a beautiful building, with very nice service. The floating pool of olive oil and balsamic served with the focaccia was wasted as I barely tasted pre-dinner offering.
The calamari were perfect, served with a delightful marina for $16
I ordered the spinach to try to get some vegetables in my system before my flight, but they were smothered with parmigiano for $14 and lacked any other flavor.
I had read numerous suggestions to order the lamb shoulder with brown butter hummus for $18, but it was much too rich for me, especially paired with the rich spinach dish.
Hoping to find some solace at the end of my meal, I ordered the coconut milk malabi with lemonata granita, rose water rhubarb and basil for $12. It was a nice light and refreshing way to end the meal.

They offered a very nice 2016 French Merlot from Chateau Odilon for $17 a glass, and several other equally well curated wines, so I would go back to the bar for a drink and calamari.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment