Monday, November 21, 2022

Willie Mae’s in West LA

I've never been to Willie Mae's in New Orleans, but I've seen and read about it for years, so I was thrilled to have them finally open up an outpost here in Los Angeles. There is a large public parking lot directly behind the multi kitchen co-op, with a back window for delivery drivers to pick up their order, and picnic tables with sun shade and televisions along the side, if you want to sit down and eat your take out.

I got the large tray with sides for $64.95 with 12 pieces of chicken, 4 sides, and cornbread. It was obviously way too much to eat at one sitting by myself, but I froze the leftover chicken so that I could have some extra food in case of an "emergency" :)
The chicken had a beautiful crunchy scald that was perfectly seasoned, and the chicken itself had been brined with love and heat. It was an absolutely awesome fried chicken. I ate a few pieces at the picnic table and took the rest home. I enjoyed the reheated pieces even more because excess oil dripped away onto my oven's drip tray and made every piece less greasy, but still very moist.
The side of sweet potato fries was a generous portion of plump, crisp, and lightly seasoned potatoes that also reheated perfectly in the oven.
The Mac & cheese was pretty basic, but my favorite side was the red beans and rice, which I ate so greedily, that I forgot to take a picture! I wanted to go back to get a quart! Complex and richly perfumed with the holy trinity of peppers, onions, and celery, their kidney beans may be my favorite rendition of beans and rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment