Monday, October 5, 2020

Blueberry Lemon Scones

I love trying recipes from Sally's Bake Blog, so when I decided to try making scones for the first time (I've eaten many, just never made my own), I chose her Lemon Blueberry Scones recipe. I love that she offer options for freezing before baking, freezing after baking, the option of using cream or buttermilk, and the unusual and very effective method of grating frozen butter to get the tender flaky texture of a perfect scone:) 

I recommend grating the frozen butter first because it is time consuming and a bit of a pain to grate frozen butter by hand with a box grater, especially during a heat wave in Los Angeles. I ended up putting what I had grated into the freezer and refreezing the butter I had not yet grated back into the freezer 3 times before finishing the process. The grated butter is beautiful, but it melts rapidly in 80F weather, so be forewarned that simply grating the butter may take you 30 minutes if you live in a hot climate. 
The rest of the recipe is easy and fast, especially if you have a microplane or rasp to get the lemon peel zested.
The texture of the grated butter incorporated with the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter should resemble this:
After adding the wet ingredients with a Danish dough whisk, it comes together quite nicely without the need for much more flour. Don't over mix, and add fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries at this point.
Shape the dough onto parchment paper or a silicone mat on a quarter sheet pan or jelly roll pan.
Cut with a pastry cutter or knife into wedges and brush with buttermilk or cream and a little sprinkle of sugar (I used my homemade raw vanilla sugar).
The only changes I made in the recipe was instead of refrigerating for 15 minutes, I put the scones in the freezer for 15 minutes, and I baked for nearly 40 minutes. 

They were delightfully tender, flaky and delicious!











No comments:

Post a Comment